ODDS AND ENDS: Snowed-in pub and other offbeat offerings

Article content


Article content

Sometimes getting snowed-in isn’t the worst thing in the world.

At least that was the case recently for frequent customers in the pub at Tan Hill Inn in Swaledale, England, after they were stuck at the establishment thanks to a tonne of snow dumped by  Storm Arwen.

More than 60 people were trapped at Tan Hill Inn on Nov. 26 after snow blocked roads and downed power lines, CNN reported . This caused pubgoers to endure an extended three-day stay at the inn.

But it’s not like they were complaining much. Inn co-owner Andrew Hields told CNN the guests were “all eating and drinking well” and were “in good spirits” while entertaining themselves with board games, quizzes, karaoke, and listening to an Oasis cover band.

The heavy snowfall blocked three routes to the remote pub. While it wasn’t the first time guests were snowed in, Hields said the advance weather warning allowed staff to stock up on food, drink, and fuel.

Article content

Not all guests stayed for the entire ordeal. One man who was undergoing dialysis treatment had to be evacuated by a mountain rescue team. The remainder of the guests were able to leave by the morning of Nov. 29.

“Tan Hill have been absolutely brilliant,” said guest Vicky Hodgson. “It’s actually been really enjoyable.”

Storm Arwen brought high winds and snow to many areas of England. CNN reported three people died after winds blew trees over.


Bullets and toaster ovens don’t mix.

In this case, the combination made for a fire hazard.

Firefighters in Greenwood, S.C., said they think a fire started inside an assisted-living facility on Nov. 28 as a result of bullets inside a toaster oven, WYFF reported.

Article content

That night, emergency personnel were called to Morningside Assisted Living after reports of gunshots and a fire alarm. Cops said a small fire had started inside the room of one of the residents where a person was found unconscious.

The person was taken to hospital and treated for smoke inhalation. According to police, the fire started after the unnamed resident had fired several rounds of ammunition at the toaster oven, which caused the bullets to discharge.

Firefighters put out the flames quickly and no other injuries were reported.

We apologize, but this video has failed to load.

A Colorado woman who left her garage open allowed a bear to raid her fridge of meat.
A Colorado woman who left her garage open allowed a bear to raid her fridge of meat. Photo by Screenshot /Facebook/AmyFranklin


A Colorado woman will now double-check to make sure her garage door is closed after a recent visit by a bear.

According to UPI, Breckenridge resident Amy Franklin forgot to close her garage door one night. Overnight, her home was visited by a hungry bear which decided to raid her fridge and consumed $600 worth of frozen meat.

The raid was captured on security camera. The woman told news outlet KDVR that after watching the video, she determined “the bear was here for about an hour and a half, he took everything out of the freezer, including over $600 in frozen meats.”

Article content

#MountainLiving I forgot to shut the garage door😫 Won’t make that mistake again. He was here for an hour and a half… the videos are amusing.

Posted by Amy Franklin on Friday, October 8, 2021

Besides the meat, the bear also helped himself to a large amount of frozen hot chocolate. Franklin shared the security footage on Facebook, stating she “won’t make that same mistake again” and will close her garage from now on.


Can you imagine the late fee of this overdue book.

A book that was checked out of an Idaho library on Nov. 8, 1911, was finally returned more than a century later.

According to KTVB-TV, a copy of New Chronicles of Rebecca, by Kate Wiggin, was recently returned to the Garden Valley Library in Boise after being overdue for 110 years. Boise Public Library said the book was originally checked out from the now-defunct Carnegie Library.

Anne Marie Martin, a library assistant at Boise Public Library told KTVB-TV that the checkout desk “noticed that it was rather old, and it didn’t have any current markings, so they looked into it.

“I don’t think anybody here has seen a book checked in 100 years later, 110 years later,” said Martin.

It’s not known who returned the book and the library itself does not have the check-out history from the Carnegie Library, so its location for the last century remains unknown.

If the late fee was in effect at the time the book was taken out still applied, the fine would be $800.


Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest
Share on linkedin
On Key

Related Posts


Russtrat world

Who hates Russia the most?

MOSCOW, 26 Jan 2022, RUSSTRAT Institute. On January 13, 2022, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergey Ryabkov was asked the following question during an interview with