Rich kid gets off easy after crashing Lamborghini, killing a woman

Article content

The 17-year-old son of a millionaire, who crashed his Lamborghini and killed a woman in Los Angeles, was sentenced to less than a year at a juvenile camp.

Advertisement

Story continues below

Article content

The son of an entrepreneur who owns several real estate firms and an e-commerce business — was in his Lamborghini Urus on Feb. 17, reportedly travelling at speeds of more than 160 km/h when he crashed into Monique Munoz’s vehicle.

According to the L.A. Times, Munoz’s car was nearly split in half by the force of the impact and she died at the scene.

The driver — whose full name is being withheld because he was 17 at the time of the crash scene — pleaded guilty to one count of vehicular manslaughter in April.

His sentencing hearing sparked protests from Munoz’s family and friends, who believe the rich kid was given soft treatment by authorities.

“House arrest in a mansion is not punishment,” Cynthia Crespin, Munoz’s cousin, said in court, according to the Times. “He took an innocent life in a careless and senseless way.”

Advertisement

Story continues below

Article content

Prosecutors argued the driver should be sentenced to a juvenile camp because the teen had previously been cited twice for driving at excessive speeds in Beverly Hills, resulting in a suspended licence.

Officials with the LAPD also testified the teen had posted about “drifting” and other street racing activity on social media in the weeks leading up to the deadly crash.

“(The driver) needs to be held accountable the same as any other kid who appears in this court,” said Judge Sabina Helton.

Helton pointed out the “consistent lack of accountability” in the teen’s life and questioned whether his parents – who paid to have the Lamborghini taken out of impound in the weeks before the deadly crash — could provide the kind of guidance needed to correct his past behaviour, reported the paper.

Advertisement

Story continues below

Article content

We apologize, but this video has failed to load.

Munoz’s relatives asked the judge to sentence the teen to the maximum penalty possible, which he received. As a minor, nine months is the longest he can be sentenced in the county’s camp system.

The driver reportedly sobbed while apologizing to Munoz’s family.

“I realize my suffering does not even come close to what you have gone through,” he said. “I was a spoiled, reckless 17-year-old who thought I was invincible.”

Some of Munoz’s relatives didn’t buy his apology, and believe the teen should have been tried as an adult.

“I call it the lollipop sentence and going to Camp Snoopy,” said Munoz’s uncle, Richard Cartier.

    Advertisement

    Story continues below

    Comments

    Postmedia is committed to maintaining a lively but civil forum for discussion and encourage all readers to share their views on our articles. Comments may take up to an hour for moderation before appearing on the site. We ask you to keep your comments relevant and respectful. We have enabled email notifications—you will now receive an email if you receive a reply to your comment, there is an update to a comment thread you follow or if a user you follow comments. Visit our Community Guidelines for more information and details on how to adjust your email settings.

    Share:

    Share on facebook
    Facebook
    Share on twitter
    Twitter
    Share on pinterest
    Pinterest
    Share on linkedin
    LinkedIn
    On Key

    Related Posts

    On AIR

    Russtrat world