Suspect in Norway bow-and-arrow attack had converted to Islam: Cops

“There were concerns over radicalization … Those reports were followed up,” the regional chief said

Article content

KONGSBERG — A 37-year-old Danish citizen who had converted to Islam is suspected of killing five people with a bow-and-arrow and other weapons in the Norwegian town of Kongsberg in a rare incident of mass killing in Norway, police said on Thursday.

Advertisement

Story continues below

Article content

The five people, four women and one man, were between 50 and 70 years old. Two people, including an off-duty police officer, were wounded in the Wednesday evening attacks.

The suspect, who has not been identified, had converted to Islam and police had been worried about signs of his radicalisation, regional police chief Ole Bredrup Saeverud told a news conference.

It was too early to determine whether the attacks should be investigated as an act of terrorism, he said.

“There were concerns over radicalization … Those reports were followed up,” Saeverud said without elaborating.

The suspect lived in Kongsberg, which is 68 km southwest of the capital, Oslo, and has a population of about 28,000 people.

The death toll was the worst of any attack in Norway since 2011, when far-right extremist Anders Behring Breivik killed 77 people, most of them teenagers at a youth camp.

Images from one of the crime scenes showed an arrow that appeared to be stuck in the wall of a wood-paneled building.

Advertisement

Story continues below

Article content

Police first received reports of a man carrying a bow and arrow at 1612 GMT on Wednesday. He was first observed by a police unit a few minutes later but managed to escape.

The man fired arrows at the police and he was only apprehended after a hunt of about 35 minutes.

“It is likely that all the killings took place after the first police sighting of him,” Saeverud said.

The suspect is in custody and is believed to have acted alone. He was cooperating with police and had implicated himself in the attacks, although he has not entered a plea.

“He is admitting to the facts of the case,” police attorney Ann Iren Svane Mathiassen told news agency NTB.

We apologize, but this video has failed to load.

“We’ll have to see if he also pleads guilty,” she later told private broadcaster TV2.

Advertisement

Story continues below

Article content

The suspect’s lawyer, Fredrik Neumann, told public broadcaster NRK: “He is cooperating and is giving detailed statements regarding this event.”

‘IT’S SCARY’

Silje Limstrand, a 22-year-old kindergarten employee, was on her way to her a Coop supermarket on Wednesday evening, the alleged site of one of the attacks, when police told her to get away.

“It feels weird, unreal. Kongsberg is a small town where you feel so safe … It is scary,” she said, adding she had not seen the suspect of any of his victims.

“It’s scary to think that I was there at the same time as the suspect,” she told Reuters.

Norway’s incoming prime minister, Jonas Gahr Stoere, who is due to take power on Thursday after winning a general election last month, said he had been kept informed by the outgoing government.

    Advertisement

    Story continues below

    Comments

    Postmedia is committed to maintaining a lively but civil forum for discussion and encourage all readers to share their views on our articles. Comments may take up to an hour for moderation before appearing on the site. We ask you to keep your comments relevant and respectful. We have enabled email notifications—you will now receive an email if you receive a reply to your comment, there is an update to a comment thread you follow or if a user you follow comments. Visit our Community Guidelines for more information and details on how to adjust your email settings.

    Share:

    Share on facebook
    Facebook
    Share on twitter
    Twitter
    Share on pinterest
    Pinterest
    Share on linkedin
    LinkedIn
    On Key

    Related Posts

    On AIR

    Russtrat world

    Erdogan’s Syrian Trap

    MOSCOW, 24 Oct 2021, RUSSTRAT Institute. The Anadolu news agency circulated a tough statement made by President Erdogan about Turkey’s readiness to “use heavy weapons

    Drone attack on Uncle Sam

    MOSCOW, 23 Oct 2021, RUSSTRAT Institute. As CNN reported, citing sources in the Pentagon, an attack was carried out on a US army military base