Remains of Canadian found at site of collapsed condo in Florida

The remains of a Canadian have been pulled from the rubble of a collapsed condo building in South Florida.

Global Affairs Canada confirmed Tuesday morning that a Canadian citizen had been discovered at the site in Surfside.

Another three Canadians remain unaccounted for and three different families have been affected by the collapse.

Statement from Global Affairs Canada:

“Canada sends its deepest condolences to the family and friends who lost a loved one in the building collapse in Surfside, Florida. Global Affairs Canada can confirm that the remains of one Canadian citizen were found at the site. At least three other Canadian citizens remain unaccounted for. Three different families have been affected by this tragedy.

Global Affairs says Canadian officials in Miami have been providing support to the family of the deceased and the families of the missing individuals.

“We stand ready to provide consular assistance to Canadian citizens as necessary,” reads the statement. “We will also continue to liaise with local authorities in case they have any updates to provide on these Canadians and the situation more broadly.”

A ramped-up rescue effort at the collapsed condo building faced new threats from the weather as Tropical Storm Elsa began lashing Florida, on a path that would mostly spare South Florida.

Bands of heavy rain were expected in Surfside as Elsa strengthened on Tuesday, possibly becoming a hurricane again before making landfall somewhere between Tampa Bay and Florida’s Big Bend and crossing northern Florida. The search crews can work through rain, but lightning from unrelated thunderstorms have forced them to pause at times, and a garage area in the rubble has filled with water, officials said.

The delays frustrated rescue crews, Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said.

“Truly they live to save lives, and they’ve pushed ahead no matter what is thrown in their way,” she said at an evening news conference.

Still, crews got a big boost when the unstable remaining portion of the Champlain Towers South building came down Sunday. The demolition — prompted by fears that the structure could fall — allowed rescuers into previously inaccessible places, including bedrooms where people were believed to be sleeping at the time of the disaster, officials said.

Four more victims were discovered, raising the death toll to 28 people. Another 117 people remained unaccounted for.

“The site is busier and more active now than I’ve seen it since we began, now that the damaged building is down,” Surfside Mayor Charles Burkett said, adding that heavy equipment was now able to move freely around the site.

Rescuers hoped to get a clearer picture of voids that may exist in the rubble as they search for anyone still trapped under the fallen wing of the building, but they found very few voids, Miami-Dade Assistant Fire Chief Raide Jadallah told family members late Monday.

No one has been rescued alive since the first hours after the collapse, but rescuers were still holding out hope of reuniting loved ones.

“We continue to remain focused on our primary mission, and that is to leave no stone unturned and to find as many people as we can and to help bring either some answers to family and loved ones or to bring some closure to them,” City of Miami Fire Rescue Capt. Ignatius Carroll said.

Share:

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on pinterest
Pinterest
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
On Key

Related Posts

On AIR

Russtrat world

USA on the eve of white revenge

MOSCOW, 30 Nov 2021, RUSSTRAT Institute. During the presidency of Donald Trump, so many rules and even taboos have been broken in the American establishment