Fear permeates neighbourhood as two are killed in recent shootings

Article content

Murder, shootings, and people living in fear.

Recent killings on Clearview Heights — in the Keele St.-Eglinton Ave. area — have prompted some frightened residents to look for a way out.

The most recent shooting left a man in his 20s dead early Monday morning. A 32-year-old man died a week earlier in a shooting about a block away.

Toronto Police on Monday night said the most recent shooting left 27-year-old Diquan Olive-Service, of Toronto, dead.

Diquan Olive-Service, 27, of Toronto. TORONTO POLICE HANDOUT
Diquan Olive-Service, 27, of Toronto. TORONTO POLICE HANDOUT

“In a year or so we will move to Brampton or somewhere. I’m leaving,” a woman said Monday while on the edge of the playground where her two daughters played.

She and a neighbour chatted about the two shootings and possible reprisal for anyone who talks to police.

“If I had the money, I would leave in a second,” her neighbour said. “As soon as we have enough money, we are getting the hell out of here.”

A long-time resident — too fearful to share her name — added that she has lived on the street for 38 years, and it has never been as bad as now.

Advertisement

Story continues below

Article content

“I’ve seen two dead bodies near my doorstep inside of a week,” said the woman, who witnessed the immediate aftermath of Sunday’s shooting.

“They used fireworks to mask the sound of the gunshots,” she said at the spot where the man died. “I could see the cops pumping the guy trying to get him back.”

We apologize, but this video has failed to load.

The explosion of deadly violence is making her keep her two daughters, ages five and seven — inside for now.

“He died right here,” she said Monday afternoon.

That spot on the sidewalk she points to is across the street from her building — 60 Clearview Heights.

Fimber Henry, a building superintendent, slowly shook his head in disbelief as he spoke about what has happened in his neighbourhood.

“I heard the shots. But I thought there was fireworks,” he recalled.

Advertisement

Story continues below

Article content

Henry knew the victim in Sunday night’s shooting — a man known to locals simply as “Pokey.”

“He was a cool guy who didn’t hesitate to do anything for anybody.”

Henry gave him odd jobs to help clean the property.

“(Sunday) morning like at about 11 a.m., I gave him $20 just to help me”

Another Clearview resident who has been here for five years, fears for her three children.

  1. Mohamed Moallim, 23, and Daniel Fung, 25, were fatally shot Sunday, June 13, 2021 at a plaza near Danforth Rd. and Saverin St., near Eglinton Ave E.

    Shock after two Toronto shootings leave three men dead

  2. An surveillance camera image of a gunmen who targeted victims at 79 Clearview Heights on Oct. 30, 2019. (Courtesy of Global News)

    Triggermen ‘targeted’ five North York teens for death

  3. None

    ‘VERY SOLVABLE CASE’: Five teens wounded in Toronto shooting

“When I heard the gunshots, it was about 15 shots,” said the woman who saw the victim walking on the street about three hours before the shooting.

“Over the past couple of years it has been getting bad,” she said.

Comments

Postmedia is committed to maintaining a lively but civil forum for discussion and encourage all readers to share their views on our articles. Comments may take up to an hour for moderation before appearing on the site. We ask you to keep your comments relevant and respectful. We have enabled email notifications—you will now receive an email if you receive a reply to your comment, there is an update to a comment thread you follow or if a user you follow comments. Visit our Community Guidelines for more information and details on how to adjust your email settings.

Share:

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on pinterest
Pinterest
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
On Key

Related Posts

On AIR

Russtrat world

Erdogan’s Syrian Trap

MOSCOW, 24 Oct 2021, RUSSTRAT Institute. The Anadolu news agency circulated a tough statement made by President Erdogan about Turkey’s readiness to “use heavy weapons

Drone attack on Uncle Sam

MOSCOW, 23 Oct 2021, RUSSTRAT Institute. As CNN reported, citing sources in the Pentagon, an attack was carried out on a US army military base