CRIME HUNTER: Insatiable black widow Renee Poole ‘wanted what she wanted’

Article content

Kimberly Renee Poole was a stiletto-thin southern belle with a pretty great arrangement.

The sexually insatiable young mother played devoted housewife by day, tending to her toddler, meeting other moms in the park and cooking her husband Brent’s dinner.

And having daytime sex with her boyfriend.

But at night, it was a different story for the 21-year-old Conway, South Carolina woman.

With her husband’s permission — and indeed, encouragement — she began working as a stripper at a low-rent peeler bar called the Silver Fox in Winston-Salem. Besides, she wanted the finer things in life including jewelry and designer clothes.

Brent and Renee Poole.
Brent and Renee Poole. Photo by HANDOUT /OXYGEN

At the Silver Fox she could get these things. Renee also indulged her penchant for promiscuity with both men and women.

By 1998, the couple had a two-year-old daughter and the marriage was on the rocks. She carried on a sexual affair with bar DJ John Boyd Frazier, a regular at the Silver Fox and briefly moved in with him.


Story continues below

Article content

But Renee and Brent were determined to take another crack at saving their shattered union.

On June 9, 1998, the pair took off for a weekend getaway at Myrtle Beach to celebrate their third anniversary. When their daughter fell asleep, the couple went for a walk on the beach — and maybe more.

Renee later told cops they took their clothes off and had sex in the sand. As they were getting dressed, a masked triggerman approached the pair. She surrendered her jewelry

And then the gunman shot her husband twice in the head, killing him instantly. For good measure he parked another in the noggin of the truck mechanic. Cops noted the newly-widowed Renee didn’t appear terribly distressed.

The other man: John Boyd Frazier.
The other man: John Boyd Frazier. Photo by HANDOUT /SC DEPT. OF CORRECTIONS

They also wondered why the killer let Renee live? After all she had witnessed a crime that was a one-way ticket to the electric chair.


Story continues below

Article content

Soon, they found out about her amorous antics and the affair with Frazier. Renee eventually came clean: Frazier made her “feel good,” lit her smokes, opened the door for her. Everything her husband wouldn’t do.

“He blows all of his money. Lord knows on what. He doesn’t make a truck payment. His mom makes his truck payment … He has no future. He’s in debt. Bounces cheques. He had nothing for me,” Renee told detectives.

Neighbours noted that Frazier’s vehicle was at the Poole’s home every day for weeks while Brent was at work.

Three days after the murder, Renee Poole told cops that Frazier was the gunman — and admitted her role in the plot. Then she changed her story.

Cops theorized that the marriage was broken and Renee feared losing custody of her daughter because of her stripping career and extracurricular hijinks. Plus, good old Brent had a $100,000 life insurance policy.


Story continues below

Article content

Within days, both Renee and her beau appeared destined for a seat in the electric chair. But instead, both were convicted of first-degree murder. She was sentenced to life in prison. He got 30 years.

Renee maintains her innocence and claims her lifestyle convicted her and not the mountain of evidence.

Prosecutor Greg Hembree said of Renee: “She wanted what she wanted.”

Robert Plympton, 57, has been arrested in the 1980 sex slaying of Barbara Mae Tucker.
Robert Plympton, 57, has been arrested in the 1980 sex slaying of Barbara Mae Tucker. Photo by HANDOUT /OREGON POLICE


Barbara Mae Tucker was waving frantically at the passing cars, apparently trying to get someone’s attention.

She was ignored.

And on Jan. 15, 1980, the 19-year-old was sexually assaulted and beaten to death near the campus of Mt. Hood Community College in Oregon. A fellow student found her body.

Witnesses later told cops they saw her running onto Northeast Kane Dr. from the wooded area on the west edge of the campus. They said she appeared to waving to someone particular so they didn’t stop.


Story continues below

Article content

Murder victim Barbara Mae Tucker.
Murder victim Barbara Mae Tucker. Photo by HANDOUT /OREGON POLICE

They also told detectives they saw a man emerge from the woods who seemed to be leading her back to campus. It was the last time anyone but her killer saw Tucker alive.

Now, 41 years later, detectives announced they have made an arrest in the case that has vexxed them for decades.

Using DNA technology they have identified Robert Plympton, 57, as Tucker’s alleged killer. He was arrested last week. Investigators also used ancestry databases from the original crime scene to find their man.

Tucker was the youngest of four sisters. Detectives gave the shocked family the news Tuesday night.

Susan Pater recalls detectives vowed at the time they would find her sister’s killer.

“He said I will not quit until I solve this. And last night he said, ‘I told you. It told you I’d solve it. So it was very cool,’” Pater told KATU-TV. “I was just totally taken a back. It was amazing. It was really good news. I’d given up. Although I think of her almost every night. Yeah, just shock. Shock and happy at the same time.”



Postmedia is committed to maintaining a lively but civil forum for discussion and encourage all readers to share their views on our articles. Comments may take up to an hour for moderation before appearing on the site. We ask you to keep your comments relevant and respectful. We have enabled email notifications—you will now receive an email if you receive a reply to your comment, there is an update to a comment thread you follow or if a user you follow comments. Visit our Community Guidelines for more information and details on how to adjust your email settings.


Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest
Share on linkedin
On Key

Related Posts


Russtrat world